8th Grade Social Studies
Unit 1- Reconstruction - - Study Guide
Important People, Terms, and Places (know what it is and its significance)
Military Reconstruction Act
Jim Crow Laws
Election of 1876
You should be able to answer the following:
- What was the purpose of Reconstruction?
- How did Andrew Johnson and Congress disagree over plans for Reconstruction?
- What rights did the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments give to United States Citizens?
- How did the Freedman’s Bureau help the former slaves?
- What was the purpose of Black Codes and Jim Crow Laws. Explain the difference between the two?
- Who were the scalawags and carpetbaggers?
- Why did the Radical Republicans impeach Andrew Johnson? How was he able to stay in office?
- How did Reconstruction end and what role did the Election of 1876 play in bringing this era to a close?
Important Dates to Remember
1865- Civil War Ends
Freedman’s Bureau Set Up
1867- Military Reconstruction Act
1868- 14th Amendment
Andrew Johnson Impeached
1870- 15th Amendment
1876- Rutherford B. Hayes wins Election of 1876
1877- Reconstruction Ends