World War I
8th Grade Social Studies Study Guide
Unit 7 – World War I
Important People, Terms, and Places (know what it is and its significance)
Archduke Franz Ferdinand
The 14 Points
Treaty of Versailles
League of Nations
You should be able to write an essay discussing the following:
1. The long and short term causes of World War I
2. How was the US brought into WWI? Describe at least two events that affected the American decision for war.
3. Name three goals Wilson had for the peace. Did he achieve them? Why or why not?
4. How did American participation in WWI change the U.S. at home?
5. How was propaganda used in encouraging support for the war.
6. How did America change as a result of WWI?
Important Dates to Remember
1914 – Archduke Franz Ferdinand assassinated
World War I begins
1915 – Lusitania sunk
1917 – The Zimmerman Note intercepted
U.S. Declares war on Germany
1918 - Armistice ends WWI
1919 – U.S. Senate Rejects Treaty of Versailles