Welcome to the start of the 2017-2018 school year. This annual event elicits every emotion imaginable for everyone who is part of the experience.
- Joy for parents whose children are returning to school after summer vacation.
- Excitement for new teachers to finally have a chance to practice their craft within their own classrooms
- Apprehension for parents of seniors and kindergarteners since they realize this milestone is epic and a moment in time.
- Calm and prepared are the teachers who work at their profession and continue to learn and improve with every year.
- Giddy are the administrators to have their building full of students and staff to start another school year.
- Gratified are the superintendents who know that everyone has returned to learn.
This year at Sullivan West we are focused on those positive initiatives and experiences that occur each and every day. It is through these experiences we share our knowledge and grow as individuals.
To quote Deborah Schoeberlein David, author of Mindful Teaching and Teaching Mindfulness -
“Master teachers are mindful teachers, aware of themselves and attuned to their students. Mindful teaching nurtures a learning community in which students flourish academically, emotionally, and socially- and teachers thrive professionally and personally.”
It’s another great year and we are so happy to have you join us.