Return to Headlines
March 27, 2019 Board of Education Highlights
March 27, 2019 Board of Education Highlights:
- Superintendent Walker presented the second Budget Work session.
- Sullivan West Standouts Nancy Ference and Judy Durkin were recognized and Elementary Student of the Month Kaylan Welton-Erdman received a certificate for her outstanding achievement.
- A motion to amend the 2018-19 School calendar was approved to reflect the following "give back" days: April 12, May 28 and May 29.
- The 2019-2020 School year calendar was adopted. The calendar may be viewed below.
- Mrs. Rasmussen presented the Board with an update of the March 4th Policy Committee meeting.
- The following policies, which are attached below, were approved by the Board for adoption:
- 7530 Child Abuse & Maltreatment (REVISED)
- 7531 Child Abuse in an Educational Setting (Eliminate). The language is contained in Policy 7530.
- 6414 Social Media Use (NEW)
- 7132 Non-Resident Students (REVISED)
- 8460 Field Trips & Student Travel (REVISED)
- Mr. Arzilli provided the Board with an update from the March 5th Facilities Needs Committee.
- Mrs. Meckle provided the Board with an update of the Sullivan County School Boards Association dinner meeting held on March 11.
- Mr. Cohen provided the Board with an update of the Audit & Finance Committee meetings on March 7th and March 19.
- High School students in Mr. Templeton’s class read three persuasive essays to the Board and public. Caitlyn Brockner addressed the Board on mental health illness and challenges. Tallula Gann presented the negative effects the current dress code has on female students and Greta Hauschild discussed students’ struggle with the amount of homework assignments.
- The Board approved the notice and resolution of the Annual School District Public Hearing on the Budget, Annual Meeting, School District Election and vote to be held on May 21, 2019. The resolution is attached below.
- The Board approved an MOA with the SRP Union regarding a new Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- The Board appointed election personnel for the Public Library Budget/Election vote on April 24, 2019 and the School District Budget/Election vote on May 21, 2019.
- The Board appointed several new members to our team, approved extracurricular and coaching positions and a volunteer.
Please visit the Board of Education website to review the full agenda.